According to an estimate, there are approximately 4,000 species of cockroaches across the world, out of which 450 species are found in Australia. This explains why an average Australian home suffers from frequent roach infestation.
Though these creepy brown insects are the size of a thumbnail, they carry various deadly disease and can cause an allergic reaction and asthma attacks.
Here’s a handy guide to get rid of the cockroach nuisance:
The Common Entry Points for Cockroaches!
Before we start discussing the tips to prevent and eliminate cockroaches, it is essential to understand how and why they enter your home.
If you think cockroaches live and thrive only in dirty homes, then you are wrong! Even a spotlessly clean house is just as likely to experience cockroach infestation as a messy home. The most common point of entry for cockroaches is through drains. Besides, they also come to your house with grocery bags and cardboard boxes. Moreover, dirty dishes sitting in the sink and food crumbs on the floor can also attract the cockroaches.
How to Prevent Roaches From Entering your Home?
You can prevent cockroach infestation by following the below given simple steps:
- Clean your Home: This seems obvious, but one of the easiest ways to keep cockroaches at bay is to keep your home clean. Cockroaches are usually attracted to food crumbs, therefore ensure to wipe your counters and stove- top every night with an antibacterial spray. Besides, never leave dirty dishes in the sink, overnight.
- Get the Leaks Fix: Roaches love leaky pipes as moisture offer the perfect conditions to breed. Most of the roaches can go on for months without eating, but they need water. When you get leaky taps fixed, you’re cutting off their source of water and hence making it difficult for the roaches to thrive.
- Seal Cracks: To prevent the roaches from entering your home, be diligent and take the time to seal off all the crevices. Cockroaches can easily fit themselves even into the smallest spaces, and so block the cracks between the counter-tops and walls.
Easy Ways to Get Rid of Cockroaches
Has cockroaches infested your home? Here’s what you can do to eliminate them:
- Eco-friendly Traps: Traps are an eco-friendly alternative to the bait. Cockroaches get attracted to the entrance and go inside a clear box getting trapped. You can leave the trapped roach in the wild!
- Insecticide: There are many stores where you can find insect sprays that are safe for humans and pets. Get one and use it in the crevices of your home to prevent the cockroaches in their tracks. However, these sprays aren’t active on the roach eggs.
- Professional Pest Control: Let’s get this clear – sometimes, you need to leave the task of removing roaches to the professionals. If you feel the cockroach infestation is out of control and the DIY technique will not be effective, call a pest control company. They can inspect your property, evaluate the situation and proceed with the best solution.
Hire Professional Pest Control Services : 0448 955 555.